Policy ForumMigration

Private strategy, public policy

See allHide authors and affiliations

Science  19 May 2017:
Vol. 356, Issue 6339, pp. 695
DOI: 10.1126/science.aan1521

eLetters is an online forum for ongoing peer review. Submission of eLetters are open to all. eLetters are not edited, proofread, or indexed.  Please read our Terms of Service before submitting your own eLetter.

Compose eLetter

Plain text

  • Plain text
    No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Author Information
First or given name, e.g. 'Peter'.
Your last, or family, name, e.g. 'MacMoody'.
Your email address, e.g. higgs-boson@gmail.com
Your role and/or occupation, e.g. 'Orthopedic Surgeon'.
Your organization or institution (if applicable), e.g. 'Royal Free Hospital'.
Statement of Competing Interests

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Vertical Tabs

  • J1, H-2B, L1, B1, E2, TN1, and E3 are all nonimmigrant visas for temporary working in the US

    William Kerr mentioned only the H-1B visa issue in the paper (1).  There are more nonimmigrant visas available for temporary working in the US (2). Nonimmigrant visas are detailed in (2). J1, H-2B, L1, B1, E2, TN1, and E3 are all nonimmigrant visas for temporary working in the US respectively. J1 is a temporary working visa similar to H-1B visa except tax exemption. H-2B visa is for short term seasonal work in the hospitality and tourist industries. L1 visa holder is known as intra-company transferee including managerial, executive, or specialized knowledge category. B1 is a visitor visa for business. B1 visa can be granted from 30 days to 10 years (multiple entry with maximum of 6 months stay in each visit). E2 is a investors visa for those who want to buy/invest/start a business in the US. TN1 and E3 are similar to H-1B to Canadian and Mexican citizens only, and to Australian citizens only respectively. Finally an F1 student visa is for those who study in the US. After they graduate, he or she is allowed to remain in the US to gain work experience relevant to their degree studies.

    1. William Kerr, Private strategy, public policy, Science (19 May 2017) Vol. 356, Issue 6339, pp. 695
    2. https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/all-visa-categories.html

    Competing Interests: None declared.
  • RE: Private strategy, public policy

    While I appreciate the stance on the visa issues, I am concerned about implementing a system that would select 'by salary' or such. It may change the recruiting of international workers in one sector in a way that may have some positive outcomes for US citizens, but may be detrimental to US citizens in other ways. For example, language immersion schools need to hire native speakers as lead teachers and many are supported on visas, unfortunately. These schools offer the possibility to graduate globally-minded bilingual students from primary schools and high schools and, in some cases, provide future job opportunities for low income students that would otherwise not be possible. Teachers, unfortunately, would probably not be among the 'high salary' group if visas were restricted or preferentially offered as suggested.

    Competing Interests: None declared.

Stay Connected to Science